Wednesday 11 April 2007

In The Beginning

I am worked hard for the living I earn. Who isn't these days? Don't get me wrong, I think that people should put in a day's hard graft to earn their money but I am sure I am not alone when I think that the balance is wrong. My employer expects me to live for work to the extent that I feel enslaved. This can't be right. My work has taken over elements of my personal life like a parasite, it is demanding of my time and energy and has caused me to push what should be the most important things in my life down the list of priorities.
I like my work (although there are stressful days that I could do without) and I get self satisfaction from my achievements. The problem is that I don't get paid for my efforts, I don't get thanks when it goes well either but one thing I do get is bawled at when it doesn't go to plan. I could live with this if it wasn't for the fact that it usually goes wrong because we are working to a set of rules and deadlines dictated by 'make it so', 'just manage it' bosses who have lost touch with their human side.
In summary, I am fed up with lining someone else's pockets with the fruits of my labour and getting rewarded with the privilege of keeping my job. I am at a stage in my life where I need a regular income, so I can't throw caution to the wind by leaving to see what happens. Yes I am looking for another job but I fell in to a fickle industry that will drop you as soon as take you on and I know the grass is not any greener on the other side.
I have spent a lot of time away from home with work and get back late in the evening. As a result basic household management takes second place to recovery and preparation for the week ahead. This has resulted in bad management of finances and most definitely debt which could have been avoided. Helped along by a bank, who as a 'responsible lender', sees you in a hole and offers to help by giving you a spade - how can exorbitant charges possibly be justified?! I am in no doubt that a significant portion of my debt is thanks to bank charges which have created bank charges which have created bank charges etc, etc, etc. Other people may have coped with this better than me - I am quite willing to admit that, but that is not the point.
So here I am. I'm trying to change things and invest in me, repair the damage.
I am sure I am not alone in my thoughts but I feel very alone sometimes and completely at a loss with how to remedy the situation. I am embarking on an adventure where I hope to discover and share ways in which it is possible to make a little something whilst having fun and learning something new.
This is step one - the blog






No comments:

Please visit