Saturday 5 May 2007

Recovering Charges From the Bank #1

Just over 40 days ago I wrote to the bank asking for details of the charges on a current account I share with my wife. I paid the £10 fee, asked for details of the charges and any manual intervention in relation to the account (hoping to be able to argue that the 'cost' of the charges is disproportionate to the charges made). I also informed them of my intention to seek repayment if I felt the charges were unjustified.
A week after sending the letter I got a reply telling me that they would be sending the statements in the post and I would have to sign for them personally, they said I could get details of how charges applied from the terms and conditions, which they would send a copy of (I think they missed the point - this information does not cover my request!!).
So after about 40 days (nothing like leaving it to the last minute) a parcel arrives by a famous courier. On a weekday I am at work so unsurprisingly I was not in when the parcel arrived. Bearing in mind my bank told me that I would have to personally sign for the information - they left the parcel, advertised with 'Private and Confidential - Only to be opened by.....' with a neighbour.
The other information they sent is some unintelligible script (some kind of note taking shorthand typing) which eludes to the gist of conversations I have had with them.
I shall be writing back to them now , again requesting information relating to any manual intervention and pointing out my annoyance at their postal security measures risking the integrity of private information meant to for me only. I shall of course be informing them that I which to reclaim £x of charges and if they don't agree a settlement then I will take them to court.

Wish me luck




No comments:

Please visit